Here’s another free gardening tip for the month of April or in the fall! Want to have the greenest lawn on the block? Here’s how:
- Find a pickup truck.
- Find your local compost facility
- Order up a truckload of compost
- Haul it back home and spread it evenly over your yard, about a 1/2 inch thick layer over the lawn.
- Rake it in.
- Enjoy all the compliments you’ll be getting over the next few weeks as your neighbors oo and ahhh over how lush your grass looks!
- This is great to do once a year or every couple of years.
- Why does it work? It supplements your lawn with much needed organic matter and nutrients.
- WARNING: You might have to mow a lot more often!
If you’d rather not deal with the compost method, milorganite is a natural alternative. Milorganite releases nitrogen slowly to your lawn and ornamentals in a form readily available to plants. There is no need to water it in either! What is Milorganite?
- Purchase a bag of pelletized milorganite from your local garden center or home center.
- Put it in your fertilizer spreader, and set it according to the instructions on the bag.
- Apply on lawn and in your flower beds
- It’s a nice slow releasing fertilizer.
- Apply once in the spring and fall.
I am not claiming to be any kind of lawn expert by any means, but I have seen the difference first hand in our own lawn since my husband has begun doing this. My brothers also have used the compost application method, and have had the same success. That’s it for today! Happy gardening, and mowing! Have you broken down yet and got out the mower, or are you at a standoff with your neighbor to see who mows first?