Welcome to Marie Stephens Gardening!
The purpose of this blog is to help you, the every day gardener, find ideas and inspiration for every day life. I love gardening, and I believe that every relationship is a garden that needs attention, nourishment, love, and care. My passions are art, flowers, poetry, and sharing ideas about these things with others.
Here you will find an assortment of ideas, projects, art, photography, and poetry that come from me, other artists and writers from around the world.
Most of my inspiration comes from every day life with my children and family, my 20 years experience as a professional gardener, and nearly 20 more playing in the dirt throughout my childhood growing up in Iowa.
Marie’s Gardening Background
- B.S in Horticulture from Iowa State University 1998
- Longwood Gardens Conservatory Display Intern: Kennet Square, PA 1997
- Lyon Aroboretum Intern: Honolulu HI 1998
- ISU Greenhouse Employee 1996
- Reiman Gardens at ISU Employee 1997
- Senior Horticulturist for Conservatories at Chicago Botanic Garden 1999-2001
- Owner of Hazel’s Place Flower Farm in Mount Ayr, Iowa 2001-2007
- Visitor Services Coordinator for Vander Veer Botanical Park in Davenport, IA 2007 -2010